A switch extension was built from the local railway terminal to the granite quarry in 1891. The Woodroffe brothers, then owners of the quarry, extended the railroad line to their quarry which resulted in the well-known North Main Street “cut” and the “Dry Bridge” that spanned it. The line extension enabled the heavy granite to be shipped across North Carolina and eventually across the United States as well. The Woodroffes would ride the train from Main Street home near the Dry Bridge to the quarry each morning and then ride it back again after the work day was over.
This site, a part of the “Geocaching for History” program, was researched and placed by the Mount Airy Museum of Regional History in partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield North Carolina Foundation and the North Carolina Humanities Council. The goal of this program is to encourage physical activity and exploration of the history of our community.
Woodroffe home on Main Street.